What Is SPR?
Henrob Self-Pierce Riveting (SPR) is a cold joining process used to fasten two or more sheets of material by driving a rivet through the top sheet(s) and upsetting the rivet, under the influence of a die, into the lower sheet without piercing it.
Speed and quiet operation are features of each system. Typical riveting cycle time ranges from 1.0 to 4 seconds.
SPR has a number of advantages over other joining techniques, such as welding and blind riveting:
- Joins a range of dissimilar materials such as:
- Joins multiple material stacks
- Non-thermal process - can be used after coating or painting with virtually no aesthetic or other damage
- Low energy demands
- Fast cycle times
- Operator and environment friendly; no heat, fumes, sparks or waste
- Repeatable quality
- Compatible with adhesives and lubricants
- Automatic rivet feed allows continuous production